Monday, July 12, 2004

Amsterdam

Amsterdam was fabulous. Unfortunately, I just did not have enough time to do everything I wanted to. There was always a group of us, so I was never on my own. On Friday, we took a bus tour around to many places outside of Amsterdam. Our first stop was at the largest flower auction in the world in Aanseleer (I think I am spelling that right), there were so many flowers, but we were high up on a walkway. The place was absolutely HUGE!! Our second stop was not actually a stop. We drove through Rotterdam and were able to see many beautiful things, including a quite famous bridge that is entirely steel. I will check to see if I have a good picture so it can get on the website. We next stopped at the Delft Blue China Factory and learned the step-by-step process of creating these beautiful pieces. I had no idea the number of steps that are involved - and it is ALL done by hand!! We then drove through Den Haag and drove right by The Hague, the Peace Palace and the prison where Slobidan Milosevic is being tried for his war crimes. (I am pretty sure I just messed up his name) Our last stop was at this amazing place. It had all of the sights of the Netherlands in miniature. It took a good hour to walk through, but I could have spent so much more time there. The pictures of the Dutch boy and the Dyke & Queen Beatrix's Palace are from here. We did not get to actually see the palace as it is surrounded by woods. We did however see the "working palace" of the Queen in Den Haag. Unfortunately, no tours and the place was being worked on outside so we were unable to get any good pictures. That is my story so far. Next weekend, we are off to London again. We get to spend all day Friday at the Houses of Parliament, including a chance to sit in on some trials. Until next time, I send all of my love to everyone.

No comments: