Saturday, September 06, 2008

Filter

I have always known that the filter most people have between their brain and their mouth is missing, or delayed, for me. I was brought up to speak my mind, which I do quite frequently. However, this is apparently not a good thing in the workplace. I was slightly chastised yesterday during a meeting in which we were discussing my career path. My filter, or lack thereof, is hindering my career advancement. I am working to make the next level, which is Consultant. There are quite a few steps - workbook, Consultant Prep Guide, Listening Sessions, 8 hour exam, coached calls. I was hoping to be ready to take the December exam. However, it may be delayed until the 1st quarter of 2009 so that I can prove to the "higher ups" that I can control my thoughts/mouth. It is a little frustrating, as it means changing who I am and who I have been for many years. I feel sorry for the people I talk to after work, as you folks will be the ones to hear what I have been thinking all day when I can finally voice my thoughts and opinions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Figuring out that filter has been the story of my life, except most of the time I'll do it using humor... Sometimes what's funny to me is not funny to everyone... I had an executive coach who once explained it this way, "Figuring out how to use humor the right way is a lot like farting. The older you get, the more you learn to let it out in appropriate situations." Apparently he's never hung around my family in terms of either farting or humor.