Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Rome

Hey All!!!! Rome was awesome...it was so HOT, about 95 degrees both days. We had about 15 hours of sightseeing on both days that we were there. Our first stop on Friday was Piazza St. Pietro where we got into the Vatican City and St. Peter's Basilica. Talk about beautiful. We then headed to the Vatican Museum, which is where we were able to get into the Sistine Chapel - unfortunately, we were not allowed to take any pictures inside the chapel. I guess all I can say about the Chapel is WOW!!!! We were told that if we spent just 1 minute in front of every picture and sculpture in the museum, it would take 14 years to see everything. We went to Castle St. Angelo and then out to the Coliseum. And once again, the word WOW comes to mind. We took a guided tour through there that also included a tour through the Roman Forum. There is so much history between these two places, and I just wish I could remember everything so I could tell you all everything. We went to the Victorian Palace, which is now a museum w/a monument to Victor Emmanuel II. It had beautiful columns, fountains, statutes and stairs that you were not allowed to sit on - I got yelled at by a policeman!! Next, we walked to the Pantheon...this is a building that has a perfect circle for the ceiling w/a hole in the middle and there is no visual means of support. Michelangelo said that this building could only have been built by angels, because there is no way that any human could build something so beautiful and perfect. Then we were off to piazza Navona that has a beautiful fountain from Bernini and then it was off to Trevi Fountain, and it was WOW once again!!! The next day we went to the Capitol and the Spanish Steps. Nothing that I have written could possible describe how beautiful and breathtaking Rome is. I look forward to doing my scrapbook so everyone can see every picture that I took. Okay, no more from me. We leave Cambridge on Thursday morning, and will have no computer access until Scotland (maybe). I love you all and will see you everyone very soon. Sending hugs to all.

No comments: