Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter

So, I was wondering if anyone else ever has these questions regarding Christian holidays. I have been questioning my faith, a LOT. My brain seems to be more analytical than in the past. I have questions, and no one to really ask them. So, here goes...

Why is Easter always on a Sunday? If he really did rise from the dead, it seems like that date should be the celebration. Why? Let us look at Christmas. This is the day people celebrate his birth, even though it has been shown that if he existed, he was born in the Spring and the date was moved to coincide with a Pagan celebration. This was done in order to protect the Christians/believers from persecution/prosecution. Why can this day of celebration be a specific date, which makes sense, while the date he "rose" is always celebrated on a Sunday?? If he did die and rise again, it happened on a specific day and that date should be what you celebrate.

1 comment:

Happy Cat said...

I recall going over this 25 years ago in confirmation class. It has something to do with the "Christian" holidays. Also, the Roman Catholic calendar of holidays. Additionally, the time Christ was killed was already some sort of church calendar holiday. So, it always follows that church calendar holiday, which IS based in part on the pagan holidays. This too is why I don't buy that pagan is bad. If it's so bad, why do we continue to coincide the holidays? The God I believe in loves all - pagan, Christian, Jew, Catholic, et. al. It's easier for God to reach out for you if you believe in him. It matters not what you call God - Jehoviah, Spirit, Alla, etc. Don't let the details of the church calendar get confused with Faith and God's Love for You.